FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 01/13/2021
Christopher W. Norris
Fire Chief / Paramedic
Easthampton Fire Department
2021 Open Burning Season
Easthampton, MA- Brush burning season begins January 15, 2021 and goes through May 1, 2021. Anyone wishing to obtain a burning permit will have to call Easthampton Public Safety Dispatch at 413-527-1212 the day they want to conduct open burning. Permits will be issued between the hours of 8AM-10AM of the day you want to burn.
Based on the COVID-19 pandemic and the financial challenges many people have had during this epidemic, the fire department, in coordination with Mayor LaChapelle, have waived all fees for open burning this year.
Criteria and Information for Open Burning:
- Fire Officer in Charge for the day will determine if atmospheric conditions allow for safe open burning.
- Hours for open burning are 10AM-4PM.
- Materials suitable for burning consist of branches, brush, cane, drift wood, and forestry debris.
- Construction materials such as grass, hay, leaves, stumps, tires, are prohibited from being burned.
- Materials to be burned shall not be piled higher than 5 feet or 10 feet in width or 25 feet in length.
- Open Burning may not take place within 75 feet of a structure or dwelling.
- The person authorized to conduct open burning must be in attendance at all times to control the fire and keep it under control.
- A garden hose or other suitable water source shall be present on site when burning is being conducted.
- Easthampton Fire personnel will have the right to inspect any and all open burning at any time to monitor for compliance.